This week in Year 5, we have been describing the differences in the life cycles of amphibians, insects and birds.
Here are some of the amazing things we found out:
- All animals grow from an egg but in insects, fish and amphibians, this egg is a ball of jelly.
- Many insects and amphibians have young that look very different from their adult form.
- “Metamorphosis” is the process that describes this dramatic change.
- Many animals release thousands of eggs at a time.
- Insects and amphibians abandon their eggs.
- Many offspring will not survive, so the large numbers ensure the survival of the species.
- Birds produce fewer eggs and they take care of their offspring until they are born.